Pages

About Me

About Me
Welcome to my blog! I'm Sarah, an ambitious 23 year young cupcake snob and avid baker. I'm a lover of edgy designs and creative flavor pairings. Aside from being a baker I'm also a daughter, aunt, best friend, and momma to the cutest Scottish Terrier in the world.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Graham Flour Substitute So Simple Your Head Will Spin!




Anyone who has had my S'mores cupcakes will tell you that all of the components are so close to the real thing that your taste buds won't be able to tell the difference between my cupcake and the campfire classic.  My S'mores cupcakes consist of three parts: a honey graham cake, a rich and smooth chocolate ganache, and a marshmallow buttercream to top it all off.  In my opinion the honey graham taste of the cake is one of the most important things.  If you can't get that flavor across right off the bat the whole idea of the S'more pretty much goes down the drain.

Most recipes call for graham flour, which is processed differently than other flours.  This is how many bakers achieve that graham cracker taste.  So what's the big deal?  Well, first of all graham flour isn't very easy to come across.  Some grocers will carry the graham flour in the heath food section.  Others don't carry it at all because it does not move on the shelf as much as your other flours do.  Graham flour can be purchased online, which means you'll have to plan ahead and allow time for shipping before you can use it.  Second, a package of graham flour is going to cost you. A 24 oz. bag of off brand, all purpose flour will cost you between $1.50 and $3.00.  Brands like King Arthur Flour will cost you between $3.00 and $5.00 for all purpose flour.  One 24 oz. (1.5 lb.) bag of graham flour will cost you between $7.00 and $10.00.  Personally I'm not too keen on spending that much on a bag of flour, especially since I bake for friends and family free of charge.  But if it's the only way to get that great graham cracker taste I'll do it.

-JUST KIDDING-

There's a better, more cost effective way to this and it is going to blow your mind.  All you need is:

1 package of graham crackers
Measuring cups
Food processor

See where I'm going with this?  The graham crackers can be ground down to a fine powder in the food processor and used just like you would graham flour.  You can use whichever brand you like to suit your flavor type or budget.  I can honestly tell you, I mainly use Aldi's graham crackers because they are dirt cheap and taste just as good as Honey Maid.  Sometimes I even use cinnamon flavored graham crackers.  There's something about the flavor of the graham cracker right out of the package that you just can't duplicate using honey and graham flour, or adding cinnamon into the mix.  One sleeve of graham crackers will yield about 3/4 of a cup of graham powder, which means you can do something else with the left over graham crackers instead of worrying about using up the remaining graham flour you would have purchased before it spoiled.  I've used this method in my recipe from day one and swear by it.  My cupcakes always come out moist and rise fully.

So remember: If you're in a pinch or are pinching your pennies, you can make your own graham flour substitute using a few simple steps.

Bake on!

11 comments:

  1. Graham crackers in the store contain soybean oil, someone sensitive to soy wouldn't be happy eating your stuff....daughter is sensitive enough, I am trying to find a graham cracker recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely the cookies must cost more than the flour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariana, not really. All markets are driven by volume and I am going to guess that there many more of us buying graham crackers then graham flour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I am not a cupcake snob but I like to make homemade desserts for dinner guests and am always looking for new ideas. Your's sounds delicious, simple, and unusual enough to fit the bill on the next occasion. The only thing I might do differently is to make a small tarte from your idea. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sad... I came here cause I wanted to make homemade graham crackers, then I looked at your recipe... :( I should have known

    ReplyDelete
  6. At Vitacost.com you can get Bob's red mill organic graham flour for as low as $2.79 for 24 oz. I just ordered a repeat monthly shipment and got 2 bags for $5.58

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just need 1/3 c graham flour today and can't find it in stores near me, so thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome I was planning to do this for a smores recipe idea and wondered if I could replace flour with graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome I was planning to do this for a smores recipe idea and wondered if I could replace flour with graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot see how can this be possible, whatever ingredients graham crackers contain they are already processed, you can't have a flour if you grind the cookie. It's nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really am curious about this, I've been wanting to try this for a while but didn't think it'll work. I guess I'll give it a shot, maybe a small batch recipe.

    ReplyDelete